ESTEEM/SER-Quest Summer Program 2017
PROGRAM DATES: July 5, 2017 - July 29, 2017
The ESTEEM Research Mentoring Program (Engineering Science and Technology to Energize and Expand Young Minds) and the Summer Engineering Research (SER)-Quest is a recruitment program sponsored by the Center for Minorities in Science and Engineering in the A. James Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland College Park. This summer's program is a 3 l/2-week, residential program.
ESTEEM / SER-Quest is part of the Clark School of Engineering's suite of K-12 recruitment programs.
During this 3 l/2-week program, students will:
- explore engineering through a hands-on engineering project
- learn about engineering research and engineering concepts through the research project
- develop a research proposal and complete a literature search and review for the hands-on project
- learn about college admissions, financial aid processes
- meet undergraduate and graduate students through various programs and activities
- live on-campus
To be considered for the ESTEEM/SER-Quest Program, students must correctly complete the entire application packet and meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Targeted groups for this program are from underrepresented ethnic groups: African American, American Indian, and Latino/Hispanic.
- Interested students must have a minimum high school GPA of 3.0.
- Have a significant and demonstrated interest in and aptitude for a career in engineering.
- Have an interest in attending the University of Maryland College Park and majoring in engineering.
- Have completed the 11th grade by June 2017.
- Completed at least two college preparatory mathematics courses such as Algebra I, Algebra II, or Geometry and completed at least two science courses such as Biology, Chemistry or Physics.
- Completion of a 500 word essay titled Why I Want to Participate in the ESTEEM/SER-Quest Program. Please include in the essay how you came to be interested in the field of engineering.
- Participate in a formal interview, if chosen as a finalist. Special accommodations can be made for out of state students.
- Demonstration of excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Submission of a minimum of two recommendations -- one from a math teacher and one from a science teacher. Students applying through The Puerto Rico Institute of Robotics (PRIOR) only need to submit a letter of recommendation from the PRIOR director.
- Submission of your most current official transcript which includes SAT and/or PSAT and/or ACT scores. A copy of the most up-to-date report card showing your most recent coursework is also required.
- Be available on a full-time basis for the entire duration of the 4-week summer program.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Expose rising high school seniors to engineering research.
- Expose rising high school seniors to the University of Maryland and to the A. James Clark School of Engineering.
- Help the students to become competitive candidates for admission to the University of Maryland and to the A. James Clark School of Engineering.
- Complete the Online Application . Also, please write a 500 word essay [pdf] on the topic, "Why I want to participate in the ESTEEM Research Mentoring Program." Please include in the essay how you came to be interested in the field of engineering.
- Please include a copy of your resume.
- You will be able to upload the essay and your resume via the Online Application portal.
- Two (2) recommendation are required, one from a math teacher and one from a science teacher. Ask your teacher to please tell us in narrative form why they endorse you for the ESTEEM Research Mentoring Program. The teacher is to address what they know about the student's academic performance, participation in school activities as well as their character, reliability, conduct and general qualifications for participation in ESTEEM.
- (Students from Puerto Rico will require one (1) letter of recommendation when recommended by one of the folloing persons: Ms. Torres-CIMATEC, Mrs. Soto-KENESIS, Mr. Wence Lopez-PRIOR, Ms. Cora-Wesleyan Academy, or Dr. Rosa-University High School).
- Students who reside in Puerto Rico who are not recommended by one of these persons will need 1 recommendation from a math teacher and 1 recommendation from a science teacher.
- A copy of the student's high school transcript and a copy of the student's 11th grade report card through the last marking period.
- A copy of the student’s SAT Math/SAT Verbal scores or a copy of your ACT score.
Please mail the recommendation(s), the high school transcript, and the copy of the 11th grade report card to:
The ESTEEM/SER-Quest Program
ATTN: Ms. LaWanda Kamalidiin
Center for Minorities in Science and Engineering
1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall, University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
All materials must be postmarked by April 15, 2017. Any questions you may have can be directed to Mrs. Kamalidiin at email@example.com.
Program Cost: $3000.00
Students applications will be reviewed. After review of the application, students will be selected and asked to come in for an in person interview or the student will be interviewed via SKYPE.
Payment: Payment will be requested upon the student being accepted into the program. Please do not send payment until after a letter has been received requesting the payment.